Sunday, May 20, 2012

DIY Flip Book


This is a project I made to help me with anxiety and panic attacks. Some of you may be familiar with that bag of worms but most probably not. Its something I deal with from time to time and so much of it is rooted in negative thinking. When things get rough for me I like to put positive affirmations up all over my house to remind me to hang in there and to reprogram my negative thoughts with positive ones. Sounds silly but it works for me. However, when things get better I throw them all away. The next time I need them, I find myself having to look them all up again online. This got me thinking of a more permanent solution so that I could have all of my favorite quotes and affirmations where I see them often and easily accessible.


I came up with the idea of making a flip book. This now sits on my nightstand where its the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning. The cool thing with this concept is you can replace what I have used it for with your own favorite quotes, scriptures, calendars, recipes, family pictures, Halloween or Christmas mini albums or whatever you want.


Here is an example of one of my favorite positive affirmations.



A lot of my anxiety stems from me worrying about my anxiety flaring up in public and how that will effect what others think of me. I have to remind myself that it doesn't matter if people think I am weird because I get panic attacks. It only matters what I think of me and I have to remind myself that I love and respect myself the way I am even with my anxiety no matter what anyone else thinks.


This particular page has a little bit of symbolism on it. The handwriting (ok traced handwriting hehe) and the crackled paper are to remind me that I don't have to be perfect to be beautiful. The number one in the corner is to remind me to put myself and my happiness first.

This was REALLY easy to make for anyone interested in doing their own. I'm keeping mine simple because I don't want it to get too big. My supplies for just the flipbook all came from my local Hobby Lobby or home and were:


2, 8X8 pieces of thick cardboard from the back of a sketchbook
1, 12X12 and 1, 8.5 X 11 piece of cream cardstock paper
1 8X8 piece of patterned scrapbook paper
Tim Holtz grungeboard book (This will be for the different sections) I will use a thinner grungeboard paper for the individual affirmations so the book isn't so thick.
Photo splitz and a gluestick

I used the tutorial found here to make my blank flip book. It took me maybe an hour and cost less than $15.00 (Can be cheaper using coupons).

The stand looks like this from the side:



I'm really excited about this because its so easy and customizable to whatever you want.


Here are a couple other similar ideas using rolodexes:




Enjoy!





If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to One of a Kind Gifts here!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I really like this and would like to make a similar one. I like the traced handwriting you have pictured as well as the lettering on the first page. Do you recommend a set of stencils for this part?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sorry ae, these are just fonts from my computer that I printed out and then traced with a light box. I think the font I used for the first page was "Scriptina" and the font I used on the inside was a purchased font called "Lady Rene". Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails